British potter Peter Holdsworth 1919 – 1967 Ramsbury Pottery
The Ramsbury Pottery was founded in 1945 by Peter Holdsworth who ran it until his death in 1967, his widow Kathy continuing the business for a further 10 years afterwards.
Peter’s pottery was in the “English Studio” tradition championed by Bernard Leach. He studied ceramics and pottery at the Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts. In 1947 he married Kathy and moved to Ramsbury, opening the Ramsbury Pottery behind 5 Oxford Street. In 1952 the pottery moved to larger premises in the old school building on Back Lane where large electrical kilns were installed.
Trading as Holdsworth-Weber Ltd (registered at 36 Southampton Street London WC2), Peter made domestic wares and “necessary pots” always aiming to produce something “essentially English”. The Ramsbury Pottery specialised in domestic earthenware and stoneware items such as plates, jugs, teapots, saucers, bowls, coffee sets, candle sticks and egg cups. These were widely sold in department stores in Britain including Harrods, as well as in Canada, USA and the Bahamas.
The finished articles were collected from the pottery by Barnes of Aldbourne and taken to Hungerford train station for onward distribution.
Ramsbury pots can be identified by the back stamp of a raven within a shield (the symbol of Ramsbury) with the word “Ramsbury” underneath. Many carry Peter’s initials “PJH”.
Ramsbury Pottery is on display at The Wiltshire Museum in Devizes.